Psychology A Level
The Pearson Edexcel Level 3 Advanced GCE in Psychology is structured into nine topic areas. Topics 1 – 4 are compulsory and focus on the areas that have laid the foundations of modern psychological understanding. Topics 5 – 8 focus on how our understanding of psychology is applied today. Topic 5 is compulsory. One topic from 6, 7 or 8 must be studied. Finally, Topic 9 summarises the psychological skills and research methods covered in the qualification.
- Topic 1: Social psychology
- Topic 2: Cognitive psychology
- Topic 3: Biological psychology
- Topic 4: Learning theories
- Topic 5: Clinical psychology
Optional topics (students must study one)
- Topic 6: Criminological psychology
- Topic 7: Child psychology
- Topic 8: Health psychology
- Topic 9: Psychological skills:
- Synoptic review of studies
- Issues and debates.
How will it be delivered?
This qualification consists of three externally examined papers.
Students must complete all assessment in May/June in any single year.
Grade 5 in English Language, Maths and grade 4 in Science.
Students must select a specialism (Computing, Health Sciences or Sport Science) alongside this course.