Do you enjoy sport or sports science? Are you curious about how athletes’ bodies work? Do you want to work alongside top athletes or be an athlete yourself?
Studying Sport Science at UTC Sheffield Olympic Legacy Park, you will develop a scientific understanding of how sport, exercise and lifestyle affects the body. You will look at ways to improve training and fitness and apply this to sporting professionals and the general public, as well as improving you own sporting ability and fitness.
View our Sport Science showcase film to find out about our unique offer at the UTC working with professional sports people and enjoying state-of-the-art facilities such as:
- Activity Studio with a range of specialist equipment
- Sport Sciences laboratory for detailed assessment of individual performance
- 3G professional standard pitch and 100m running track with data capture facilities
- Fitness Suite
What will I study?
Our Sport Science Pathway document has full details of what you will study from Year 9 all the way into Post 16.
You will work with athletes at all levels, including those at the top of their fields, to understand how performance of the human body can be improved through the application of science and technology. For example, you could be working with a professional sportsman and their coach, understanding how they build strength when they are training, and then apply this learning to people who are managing chronic asthmatic conditions. With Sheffield Hallam University’s Advanced Wellbeing Research Centre next door, there are opportunities to work with sport scientists who have helped to develop solutions for international athletes.
What is special about the UTC offer?
- At UTC you’ll study academic programmes which can include traditional Science qualifications as well as vocational qualifications.
- You’ll be supported to manage your academics studies whilst pursuing and acknowledging your training schedule.
- UTC will ensure that your application to university is competitive, whether applying abroad or in the UK.
- You will benefit from our partners at the Olympic Legacy Park including Sheffield Hallam University’s Advanced Wellbeing Research Centre.
- You will be in close proximity to the English Institute of Sport and Ice Sheffield.
- You will learn in state-of-the-art facilities that include a fully equipped Fitness Suite, Sport Science Laboratory and Activity Studio.
What jobs are available in Sport Science?
Elite Athlete / Sports Analyst / Coach / Personal Trainer / Sports Journalist / Physiotherapist
- Sheffield City Region is fast becoming a hub for sports technologies in the UK
- Sport is a fast growing employment sector, especially within the healthcare sector
Find out more in our Career Pathways document.
Below are a selection of the employers we work with in the Sport Science specialism: