Health Sciences & Social Care
This pathway at the UTC will provide you with the knowledge and skills to work across numerous vocational areas of the health and social care sectors.
As a specialist science and technology academy, the UTC will help you to develop the kind of technical and scientific skills which the healthcare sector increasingly needs alongside people skills such as caring, communication and teamwork.
View our Health Sciences and Social Care Showcase film to find out about the fantastic offer at the UTC:
What will you study?
Our Health Sciences and Social Care Pathway document has full details about what you will study from Year 9 all the way through to Post 16.
We also offer the Level 3 Applied Science Cambridge Technical Extended Certificate which you can study alongside A Levels or our Health Science & Social Care technical qualifications.
What is special about the UTC offer?
- Learn in state-of-the-art facilities that include a Health and Development Suite with a flexible ward set-up and a facility for an operational ambulance.
- Study academic programmes which can include GCSE Triple Science and A Level Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics, Biology and Chemistry, alongside Cambridge Technical qualifications.
- Participate in real life work projects which reflect the latest clinical practice.
- Benefit from our links to sponsors such as the Sheffield Teaching Hospitals and local universities Sheffield Hallam University and The University of Sheffield.
- Ensure that your application to university is competitive with relevant work experience and advice and guidance regarding interviews and admissions tests.
The location of the new UTC centre on the Olympic Legacy Park provides a unique opportunity for exciting projects spanning healthcare, sport and tech. Our neighbour is the new Advanced Wellbeing Research Centre, a collaboration between Sheffield Hallam University’s world-renowned Sports Engineering Research Centre, the National Centre for Sports and Exercise Medicine and the Sheffield Teaching Hospitals Trust.
We also work with the healthcare related faculties at both Sheffield Hallam University and The University of Sheffield, as well as with staff at the Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
What jobs are available in Health Sciences and Social Care?
Dentistry / Veterinary / Pharmacy / Physiotherapy / Forensic Science/ Nursing / Paramedic / Midwifery
You could be one of the 1.6 million people that the NHS employs as one of the top five of the world’s largest workforces!
There are a host of different careers in the NHS and in private healthcare and social care providers. There are also many jobs related to health and wellbeing research and technologies.
Sheffield City Region is a hub for leading research and cutting-edge technologies in health and social care, with national centres of excellence led by both universities working with Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust. You could be part of these exciting developments in the future.
You can find out more about career opportunities in healthcare on the NHS careers web site.
Here are some of the organisations we work with for the Health Sciences and Social Care specialism: