Are you an aspiring athlete?
UTC Sheffield Olympic Legacy Park is an accredited by an innovative Talented Athlete Scholarship Scheme (TASS) initiative through Sport England.
TASS (Talented Athlete Scholarship Scheme) is a Sport England funded partnership between talented athletes, education institutions and national governing bodies of sport. They work together to bring the best out of our country’s most exciting young talents.
You can see a video about the scheme here: TASS Dual Career Accreditation Scheme – YouTube
As an accredited provider we are able to offer students on the scheme the flexibility to study with us while continuing to train in their sport.
We offer flexibility around:
- timetabling where possible across all subjects offered at Level 3.
- deadlines and internal assessments will be ensured, particularly around planned absences for training and/or competitions.
- time off where necessary for training camps and competitions
- change the timings of external assessments
- Clear liaison with teachers across all subjects in order to ensure a consistent approach.
- Insurance that all subjects across the UTC are effectively using online platforms to store and share classwork such as notes and PowerPoints for student athletes that are absent. Along with teachers in all subjects using these online platforms to communicate with student athletes around what needs to be done to ensure good progress is made.
- A central record of all planned absences for that academic year will be kept. Therefore this can be accessed by all staff and used to inform/support data entry points across the UTC, and for teachers when planning and setting deadlines and assessments.
- A guarantee that all requests for sports related absences will receive equal consideration.
- An induction evening for students, their parents and coaches along with teaching staff to outline what the scheme offers, how it will work and the responsibilities of each party involved.
- Tutors will monitor and support progress across all subjects
- A ‘Buddy System’ will be put in place, in order to provide a peer support network for student athletes at the UTC.
- Regular workshops providing additional support and guidance focusing on the key issues around being a student athlete.
- The UTC will ensure there is an appreciation and celebration of the sporting accolades achieved by student athletes.
TASS Dual Career Policy:
We have long been committed to supporting student athletes in all aspects of their sporting and academic endeavours. Upon submitting their application for Post-16 through Sheffield Progress, students are then able to request an application form for the UTC TASS Dual Career Scheme.
The criteria for the scheme are as follows:
- Predicted to achieve at least 5 GCSE passes at grade 4 or above, including English and Maths (and Science for studying Health and Sports Sciences)
- Competing at national or regional level in their given sport and providing two referees to testify this.
Students competing at regional level may apply, however they will be placed on the ‘waiting list’ until the number of places taken up by students competing at national regional level has been confirmed.
Students’ place on the Scheme will then either be accepted on the condition that they achieve the academic entry requirements and take up their place to study at UTC, or student could placed on the ‘waiting list’. Students on the ‘waiting list’ will be informed of the success of their application after GCSE results day.
The number of athletes accepted onto the Scheme will be capped at ten. Places on the Scheme will be allocated on the basis of where the Scheme will have the greater impact on the academic and sporting progress of the student.
For more information please contact:
Dual Career Coordinator: Abi Olsen, Lead Teacher of Sport
Telephone: 0114 260 3940 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org