UTC Sheffield City Centre Celebrates Technical and Academic Results Increase
UTC Sheffield City Centre students are celebrating a strong set of A Level and technical results with a higher pass rate in both types of qualifications.
At UTC Sheffield City Centre, on Matilda Street, students complete academic and technical qualifications in engineering or creative and digital media, backed by employers.
A total of 114 students sat exams this year. The technical qualification pass rate is 100% for creative and digital media, and 100% for engineering.
In addition, 68% of students achieved a Distinction* to Distinction-Merit grade (A* to B equivalent) in creative and digital media and 51% in engineering.
This year’s A Level pass rate has risen to 97% compared to 93% last year. At UTC Sheffield City Centre, 61% of students completed A Levels alongside their technical qualifications.
Alex Reynolds, Principal, UTC Sheffield City Centre, said: “We are delighted with our students and their excellent results, and congratulate them on their success.”
He added: “At UTC Sheffield, we focus on technical excellence and academic success through our employer inspired curriculum. Students focus on technical learning, supported with rigorous academic subjects that give students a unique package of qualifications and skills to meet the needs of our employers.”
He continued: “The performance of students achieving A* to B grades is excellent, with the number of students achieving this measure well above the target for the cohort. The UTC is a great choice for young people who want to secure destinations in sectors with demand for highly skilled professionals at level 4 or above. Those students who stay on or join us at 16 are virtually guaranteed to go onto high quality apprenticeships, employment and top universities.”
A selection of the destinations students have gained this summer are listed below:
- Sheffield Hallam University – BEng Mechanical engineering
- Sheffield Hallam University – Architectural technology
- University of Sheffield – Mechatronics and robotics
- University of Sheffield – Aerospace
- University of Sheffield – Civil engineering
- MBDA Missile Systems – Degree Apprenticeship
- Jaguar Land Rover – Higher Apprenticeship
- Sheffield Forge Masters – L4 apprenticeship
- PlusNet – Sales
- Nottingham Trent University – Fashion promotion and communication
- Xerostech – Apprenticeship
- ARUP – Degree apprenticeship
- University of Nottingham – Aerospace
- Oxford Brookes University – Motor sport engineering
- First Buses – Electrical & mechanical apprenticeship
- Inspec Solutions – Control Systems
- Manchester Met University – advertising
- Huddersfield University – Graphic Design
- AMRC – Preston Hydraulics
- AMRC – SMS Automation
- BMW – Higher Apprenticeship
- National College for High Speed Rail – HNC in high speed rail / Level 4 apprenticeship in Overhead electrification and power
- Hadfield Cawkwell Davidson – L4 architecture apprenticeship
- AES Seal – Apprenticeship
- Leeds Beckett – Architecture
- Leeds Beckett – Digital media
- University of Chester – Physics
- Royal Navy – Marine Engineer
- Royal Army Medical Corp
- Xcel Super Turn – CNC Milling apprenticeship
- Mott MacDonald – Civil Engineering apprenticeship
- Liverpool John Moores University – Civil engineering
- University of Westminster – Chinese & International relations
- BDP Agency – Digital marketing apprenticeship
UTC Sheffield City Centre campus is Ofsted graded ‘good’ and was the first UTC to open in Yorkshire and Humber in September 2013.
All students complete a technical qualification in one or two specialisms – advanced engineering and manufacturing or creative and digital media – which are equivalent to one-and-half or two A Levels.
A second campus, UTC Sheffield Olympic Legacy Park, opened in September 2016 and specialises in computing, health sciences and sport science.
Young people can join the UTC in Year 9 at the age of 13 or in Year 12 at the age of 16. Some places are still available in Year 12 at UTC Sheffield starting this September. For more information, visit www.utcsheffield.org.uk