UTC Year in Review – 2014/15

Banner image: L-R Chase Beatson, Anjali Kaladagi, Jack Smith holding the cake - current Y11 - just complete first year in Y10 at UTC

September 2014

• The beginning of September 2014 marked the start of our second year and the arrival of a whole new cohort of Year 10 and Year 12 students.
  • We also celebrated our first birthday (pictured above).
  • Year 13 students focused on destinations, especially via UCAS, with lots of support from Sheffield Hallam University and the University of Sheffield. Students had three assemblies and a parents evening event to cover researching courses, the UCAS journey and ‘Why University?’
  • Paul Blomfield, MP for Sheffield Central, held a session of ‘Big Conversation’ involving question and answer sessions with groups of UTC students and Governors.

October 2014

• UTC Sheffield won a Sheffield Design Award for the building.
  • Our first showcase open evening for Post-16 resulted in excellent attendance with the presentation area packed out twice over.
  • We also held our first Employer Mentoring event of the academic year, which included Siemens, Rolls-Royce, Sumo Digital, HR Media, Evolution, Very Creative, Finger Industries Animation, York St John Product Design, ASK 4. Fifty students were matched with and met employers.

December 2014

• We launched ‘Student Voice’, a new initiative for council meetings led by students. A noticeboard for Student Voice was established where meetings, topics, and news can be published, along with a suggestions box.
  • Our Student Ambassador programme attracted lots of new recruits. Volunteers give up their time to support and lead tours at recruitment events, which showcase and explain their UTC to others. Ambassadors are rewarded by a highly coveted badge and a letter of appreciation from the Principal. All visitors to the UTC, whether VIPs or prospective parents, have commented on how outstanding our Ambassadors are and the positive impression they create.
  • The Royal Marines Visibility team hosted a student event at the UTC.

January 2015

• Principal Nick Crew attended the British/German Conference held at Old Trafford Manchester as an expert panel guest discussing the German technical education system and how it could be applied across the UK.

February 2015

• For the second of our Employer Mentoring events, 60 of our students met employers including Evolution, Very Creative, Sumo Digital (BAFTA nominated!), Rolls-Royce, Siemens, Mott MacDonald, HLM Architects and RBS.
  • The Vice Chancellor and Pro-Vice Chancellor from Sheffield Hallam University visited the UTC.

April 2015

• Y11 students Sarah Nawaz, Jack Smith, Praise Ncube and Y10 student Lucy Ellis attended Medic Experience days at Royal Hallamshire Hospital.
  • Students took part in work experience placements, with some employers offering opportunities specifically for students from the UTC. Placement employers included Plusnet, Mott McDonald, Gripple, and Sheffield Hallam.

May 2015

June 2015

• Our Y10 & Y12 Engineering students competed in the Bloodhouse Project ‪#‎STEM‬ event at Rotherham United Football Club‘s ‘AESSEAL NEW YORK’ stadium and the Y12 students went on to win ‘Best use of material award & Overall winner 2015
  • Sheffield Hallam University Higher Education Progression Partnership presented on the UCAS University journey for Year 12s.
  • The launch of our new Spot the Talent programme. Following support and meetings with key members of the Employer Reference Group: Can Studios and Primetals took a lead in offering ‘Spot the Talent’ placements.
  • We hosted a series of workshops on presentation tips, giving guidance and feedback on how to develop an outstanding portfolio and conduct an interview, as well as highly-focused careers advice.
  • Nicola Minichiello – Bob Sleigh champion athlete – visited the UTC to deliver an assembly on overcoming adversity and taking control of your life.
  • Master Cutler David Grey held an asssembly on aspiration and the importance of work experience for our Y10s.

August 2015

Read more about the past year at UTC Sheffield on our news page: https://www.utcsheffield.org.uk/news/.

Get updated

Subscribe to our newsletter to keep up to date with the latest news from the UTC